After a beta testing phase, Google recently announced via a blog post the arrival of the final version of Android 11, already available for download for compatible Google Pixels.
Google says the new version of Android will help us get what’s important on our smartphones more easily and better manage our conversations, connect to other devices, improved privacy, and more.
New ways to communicate with people
- We often find ourselves switching between messaging apps to stay in touch with people. In Android 11, conversations between messaging apps will be moved to a dedicated space in the notifications section, making it easier to manage. In addition, we will also be able to prioritize certain conversations, so that we never miss an important one.
- The Bubbles feature makes multitasking on the device even better. We can now reply to important conversations without having to go back and forth between what we’re doing.
- The screen recording feature has finally arrived: now we can capture and share what is happening on our phone quickly without additional apps.
New ways to control devices and multimedia content thanks to Android 11
- We can now access all of our smart devices in one place by simply long pressing the power button. You no longer need to open multiple apps.
- The multimedia controls have been redesigned and are more useful than ever. Now we can quickly change the device on which we are playing a media file, so as to bring the music from the headphones to the speaker quickly.
- Android Auto now works wirelessly for all phones with Android 11 as long as you have a compatible vehicle.
Greater control over privacy and data
- One-time permissions will allow you to grant access to the microphone, camera, and location only once. The next time the app needs access to sensors, it will have to ask for permission again.
- If you have not used an app that you have installed on your device for a while, you may not want it to continue accessing your data. Android 11 will now “auto reset” permissions for unused apps and notify you. We can always decide to grant permissions to the app again the next time we use it.
- With the Google Play system update forms, we will receive even more security and privacy fixes to our phone from Google Play, in the same way we update apps.
Download updated security patches and Android 11
The September 2020 security patches are also available with the new version of Android 11. Below you will find the download links for the Google Pixel devices.
- Pixel 4a: RP1A.200720.010, RP1A.200720.011 — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel 4 XL: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 4: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3a XL: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3a: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3 XL: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 2 XL: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 2: RP1A.200720.009 — Factory Image — OTA