Google Maps is the most widely used location and navigation service in the world, and like most of the Google services, it does not tire of offering new tools to its users such as the ability to view maps without an Internet connection. In fact, a new feature was recently added to the Android app that allows you to change the arrow icon to a car when setting a route. So if you still do not know about this function, you are in the right place, since in this article we will tell you step by step how to do it. You can not lose this!
Use the new car icons available on Google Maps
As of the latest Google Maps update to version 10.52.2 for Android, you can now customize the icon from the standard arrow and replace it with a car. That’s right, now you can choose between a red car, a yellow SUV, and a green pick-up truck. However, this function was already available for some time in the iOS version of Maps, although many users were unaware of the possibility of changing the icon.
To use this new tool, you will have to start navigating from point A to point B. Then, from the traditional arrow icon, you will be allowed to choose the car of your choice from the available options. This works exactly the same way whether you have an Android mobile or an iPhone, but yes, you must bear in mind that the icon will only appear when you start driving. Remember that in any case, you can always share your location with other people through Google Maps.
How to change the arrow icon for with a car in Google Maps
Starting to use the car icons available on Google Maps is a really simple task, and we will explain all the details to you. So we invite you to take a look at the following steps:
- First of all, open the Google Maps application on your Android or iOS device.
- Then select a location to start navigation.
- Now, click on the Indications option.
- Then select the Start button to start the turn-by-turn navigation.
- Now, simply click on the icon of the blue dot that represents your current location on the map.
- You will see a small pop-up menu appear with various car icons to choose from, as well as the traditional icon.
- Select the icon or car of your choice to continue.
- Ready! You will now see the car you have selected, instead of the traditional arrow icon when navigating.
- When you start to drive, you will see that the small icon of a 3D car that turns, moves forward and in real-time like the usual arrow on Google Maps.
While this is perhaps not the biggest change to the Google Maps user interface, it is a small tweak that many people are sure to appreciate and that will bring some joy to long and stressful trips.